Thursday, December 12, 2013

Wahhhh So late!

Hey bloggers, Sorry for the late reply but as it so happens, the Christmas/New Year season is upon us. That means extra busy schedules. You know how it is… So here’s the update:
Monday-Wednesday… Uhhh to be honest, I don’t really remember much from that long ago. So much happened on Thursday though :) So Tony walks into my office and tells me that I’m working with a student to dance for the New Year Charity concert. SWEET! So excited to be performing again! But of course this girl doesn’t come find me to talk to me until Thursday night, when one of her friends whom I asked to help me track her down, literally drags her to me. I’m headed off to tutoring session and he comes dragging this poor girl to me in the hallway. So we talk and she’s like yea let’s do it! So I spend all weekend choreographing the dance. Then I discover that there a girl who’s supposed to be playing the piano for us to dance to while still another girl is singing… Um HELLO?! Where was this information last week?! Yea non-existent. I asked the girls, “Do you know how hard it is to dance to live music? This is ridiculous.” So then the girl playing the piano said, “I will try to learn the song.” So I get her the sheet music for the song that I choreographed to and she comes back to talk to me Monday night saying, “This song is not very suitable for the piano. It sounds not good and I think we should play something classical.” Then she plays a song for me… Ok I’ll admit she played beautifully to the classical music but if she plays that, we’d have to change the dance and the singer would be out because there aren’t any classical pieces that she can sing. Oh and did I forget to mention that the girl who is dancing with me has three lessons of modern dance experience? And she wanted me to choreograph ballet for her… Um yea… Not only am I NOT qualified to choreograph ballet, YOU HAVE NO DANCE EXPERIENCE, GIRLFRIEND! This is not going to be an easy task. So I make the dance way way WAY easier for her and she still doesn’t know how to count to music so I do the #1 thing I was trained not to do: choreograph to the lyrics. AWFUL! Absolutely horrendous. But whatever. These are kids who watch wayyyy too many movies and expect to learn a dance and be performance ready within an hour of watching me do the dance. She doesn’t even try to dance while I’m dancing. She just watches it and says, “I will practice when you’re not looking”…. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! That’s not how this works! So it’s been three rehearsal days. I stayed late and took the 7:30pm bus home Monday-Wednesday so that we could rehearse as much as possible. She’s looking better but is still having a hard time with moving fluidly. Today (Thursday) we didn’t practice at all because the students had tests all day. I have until the 20th to get her performance ready. I’m gonna need a miracle! I hope I can keep you updated as time goes on but time seems to be moving faster than I can run. Until then…Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment