Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween

I don't really know when this animosity for Halloween appeared but for some reason I cannot stand Halloween. I think it was a combination of the following:

Moorebid Ball being the biggest, most ridiculous, most annoying event of the year
Drunk/high/stoned college students taking advantage of a clothing optional campus
Drunk/high/stoned college students yelling at 4 in the morning waking me up
Having to go out and buy a costume
Having people judge me for not being original (I really don't care if I'm original or not if that's what I want to be)
Scary movies being played on TV so I can't watch anything without screaming, jumping, or not going to bed at night

Is it so wrong to want to spend Halloween night at home watching a movie that doesn't make me scared to go to the bathroom??

This year was the first year I handed out candy to children. That was the highlight of my life!! I'm NEVER going trick-or-treating ever again because my post, is at the door. The sKiddies were soooooo adorable in their costumes and to see the parents have fun taking their kids around was just as much fun to watch as actually going trick-or-treating myself. I want to be the one who gives kids candy on Halloween.... there's where my fun happens!!

Today during senior sem the ECC/Greenburg kids (idk which group it was) came through Tisch trick-or-treating at the department offices. All of our class went out into the hall to see them. They were SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!! I wanted to steal them away haha... relax, I didn't. Then when they were gone we proceeded to analyze the costume variations in a sociological manner (can you tell we didn't want to talk about bivariate analyses of senior sem projects anymore??) We concluded that there was too much gender bias in every child's costume since all the girls were in some kind of dress or skirt and the boys were all in super hero-like costumes. There was not much of a variation so they would not have been a good data set for a senior sem project. We all agreed however that the chicken costume was the winner of all hearts even though the child was in the costume without informed consent and therefore the ethics of such an act was not OK for data analysis... yes, we have all lost our minds from this stupid senior seminar!!!!! EVERYTHING is seen in a sociological way and this is causing us not to function as normal human beings anymore. HELP!!!!!

So the conclusion to my story is that I hate Halloween (probably just hate it at Skidmore) and really wish people would stop inviting me to Halloween parties via facebook because I'm just not going to go to any of them. Besides, I still have to finish my grad school apps, my bivariate analysis write up, my literature review, and my multivariate table for my powerpoint. Weekends are the only time I have to do my homework... So please let me do it!!

Some time this weekend I am also going to keep working on my spring break road trip options. I'm driving from New York to Oregon and back in 8.5 days :) SO EXCITED!!!! This will be the only crazy thing I ever do in college. I really didn't take advantage of being an undergraduate student... mainly because the people I'm friends with don't typically have the money to spend on crazy adventures. I haven't done anything like snowboard or ski during my time at Skidmore and I still don't know how to ride a bike... Not exactly the craziest goals to have as an undergrad but still.... most people do it while they're at college so I apparently missed out. According to the Goals survey and data analysis, athletes are less likely to participate in social events on campus than non-athletes. The figure is statistically significant with a moderate but positive relationship. Oh dear lord!! I need to stop looking at senior seminar projects before my entire world turns into one big senior seminar project. Bleh!! OK I'm going to stop now. I'll be sure to update you about what's going on with my conflict resolution workshops (we're working to get a weekly program running... I don't remember if I already mentioned that). How cool would that look on my resume?? Anyways.... yea... so until then... Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment